Essay writing could be more fun with the help of a complete guide that lists a step by step process on how to achieve any type of essay. This article is focused on cause and effect essays, what it is and how to write it. The outline of a cause and effect essay would be discussed extensively in this article.
The first question one would ask is what is a cause and effect essay? In school if you were assigned to write a cause and effect essay and probably you do not even know what it is. Then this article should not pass you. It gives a clear definition of what a cause and effect essay is, it’s purpose and importance. A good understanding and a proper follow up of this guide will give you the confidence you need to write a perfect cause and effect essay.
What is a Cause and Effect Essay?
A cause and effect essay is one that is common in the academic world. It is an essay that examines and analyzes the causes and effects on certain things. This essay highlights reasons of occurrence (causes) and what happens in its result or effects of those things. These kinds of essays help in students’ reasoning and thinking abilities even though nowadays technology has made it easier for students to solve their academic problems. Online writing services are available for students to buy research papers, essay projects, term papers etc. It is advisable to know how to write these essays in case of exam conditions.
Types of Cause and Effect Essays:
Cause and effect essays are of three types. They include i) Effect focused method ii) Cause focused method iii) cause and effect focused method.
- Effect-focused method: For this method, emphasis is laid on the effects or result of an event or situation.
- Cause-focused method: Here the different cause of an event is what is given emphasis on.
- Cause and Effect focused method: Here both the causes and effects of an event are analyzed equally.
The Structure of a Cause and Effect Essay:
The structure of a cause and effect essay is divided into two parts i) Block structure ii) Chain structure
- Block structure: In the block structure format, all the cause of your topic is listed and then its effects are later.
- Chain structure: In the chain structure format, for every cause its effect is followed after. Also every cause presented is followed by its effect right after it.
How to Write a Cause and Effect Essay:
A cause and effect essay basically follows the format of a typical traditional essay which consists of i) Introduction ii) Body paragraphs iii) Conclusion
- Introduction: Your introduction needs to be engaging and should interest your audience. It should also give your readers a view of what you are going to discuss about.
- Body Paragraphs: Body paragraphs follow the introduction. It consists of all information that supports your topic presented in a logical and well structured manner. In the body paragraphs ensure that all the causes and effects are based on facts and they are linked with well organized paragraphs.
- Conclusion: The conclusion of your essay includes a hint on the introduction of your topic and thesis statement. It should give closure and make sure your audience are convinced and satisfied.
Cause and Effect Essay Writing Tips:
- Familiarize with the instructions: This means that you should read your instructions carefully and understand what is required of you.
- Choose your topic: Choose a topic that you have interest in.
- Research and brainstorm: Research is necessary to find out more information concerning the topic. Brainstorming on the ideas gathered will help you draft out how to put your points together and how to organize your essay.
- Define the necessary causes and effects: Before drafting an outline, it is important to answer some questions concerning the topic such as:; what caused the occurrence of some events? This defines your causes. What are the outcomes of this? To define your effects.
- Create a detailed outline next.
- Build a solid thesis statement that serves as your introduction to your main idea. It should also state whether you are going to focus on revealing causes, effects or both.
- Write your cause and effect essay: After gathering all these facts, picking a topic and creating a thesis statement. You can go ahead and write your essay. Make sure you follow the structure and make use of transition to link your ideas in different paragraphs.
- Proofread, rewrite and edit: After writing, proofreading your essay is necessary to correct all grammatical errors and spellings. Also carry out the necessary editing and then make your final draft.